Tuesday, March 31, 2015

An Exercise In Futility - Written late at night, unedited and disorganized

For the past few weeks, I've spent a lot of time on the computer.  I've made progress in my homework, organized Waffle Day at USP, and played a bunch of games.  Computers are good.  However, I tend to overuse them.  When I'm working, I use my laptop.  When I'm taking a break, I play computer games.  If a new song or comic strip comes out, I look it up online.  I even use my computer to communicate with friends.  For some reason, I'm dissatisfied.

Goat Simulator: A game where you run around as a goat, wrecking as much havoc as possible.  If you cause the right kind of destruction, you get bonus abilities, that usually help you cause more mayhem.

The Stanley Parable: Mostly about a man who pushes buttons repeatedly, and his adventures in an abandoned office, with a confused narrator, a mind control facility, a broom closet, a blue door, and a game with a baby.  After you make a bunch of choices, the game spits out the predetermined "ending," and restarts itself from the beginning.  Definitely a game best played without watching a walk through beforehand.

Both of these games are incredibly pointless.  The "objective" is to walk around until stuff happens, then enjoy the stuff.  It's great, but terribly painful and boring after a few hours.  If you want to play these games, please don't spend hours without long breaks.  I don't want to hear or see anything related to these games for at least 1 week. 

Anyway, futility.  Computers are amazing.  You can make so much out of them.  There's almost endless (interesting) content stored online.  Yet, I'm fed up with computers, for the moment.  I don't really understand why, but I'm missing something when I'm focusing on a screen for a long period of time.  I always leave the screen bleary-eyed, wishing to go to bed, and hike a mountain, all at once.  Maybe I'll 3d-print one in a few years, and go climb that.  Goodnight.

*Side-note, both games have a bit of cursing and such mature-ish content, for those who are like me and google something just because a friend referenced it.

No comments:

Post a Comment